Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Dog days of summer

Wow, there's been a lot of down time on the blog this month. Sorry about that. We just haven't been getting out the camera to take pictures of the kiddies.

I'm going to blame it on the dog days of summer. It's hot outside, I'm tired, and I need to rest before a busy Fall and Winter. The other day Val said I have a lot to write about - an effort to get me to to get it off my chest, I guess!

Here's a quick update on how everyone's doing:

Cooper started attending the Mother's Day Out program at nearby Faith Baptist over in Bartlett. He goes twice a week, from 9-2 Tuesdays and Thursdays. He's been pretty excited about going to "school," as we call it, and is having a good time. Naturally, as a 3 1/2 year old boy he has some behavior issues and won't stay still at rest time, but really, it's Cooper, so I'm not surprised. I never slept at nap time, either. But if it comes down to him getting trouble for not obeying the teachers, well, it's punishment time.

Penny is, well, she's an interesting toddler, and I cannot believe that she's technically not even two yet since we've been going through the Terrible Twos for about six months now. Just goes to show what many parents already warned me, that the "Terrible Twos" are called that not because the kids are awful from age 2-3, but for two whole years from 1 1/2 to 3 1/2.

Our precious Penelope just wants things her way, bless her heart, but goodness gracious when she doesn't that girl is a terror and turns into Fussy McScreamypants. She drives me crazy, I admit, but it would be a lot easier if she would start speaking English. Penny has her own language; she talks plenty, but we can't understand her except for a very punctuated "No!" when she gets an attitude. She does understand us, so that's not the issue, and she's a smart girl so she knows what's best.

A couple of weeks ago we started putting a blanket in the crib with Penny, and she took to liking it tucked in on her at bedtime. Problem is, she moves around a lot when asleep and wakes up, and when she realizes that the blanket isn't on her anymore she starts to scream. This was happening three to five times a night, so we stopped putting a blanket in bed with her. It's OK, she has four three bears to cuddle with, even if Teddy is missing in action.

As for me, well, I just want to sleep more. I usually average two hours of naps in the afternoons, and four hours at night, which leaves me with a sleep deficit that can't be made up on the weekends. When the kids are in college, though, I'll be sleeping 11 hours a night and they'll scratch their heads and wonder why!

OK, so at night it's sort of my fault. We try to get Penny in bed by 7:30, then Cooper by 8 or 8:30, but do I ever go straight to sleep? Of course not. While Val plays Candy Crush on her Nook in bed, I lay beside her checking Twitter on the Kindle Fire until 9.

Now, while that's not healthy, I have been making strides, finally, with losing weight and getting in shape. Way back in February we joined ATC Fitness a few minutes down Hwy 64. ATC stands for "Around the Clock," so I get up at 1:20 every morning, get my work clothes and food together, then head to the gym for a workout. I can usually get a half-hour of exercise before I have to get ready for work.

In August I also finally got a grasp of my eating habits, too. I downloaded an app that calculates Weight Watchers points, keeps track of your daily intake and has a database to find points for products and restaurants. Back in 2006 when I lost a lot of weight - right before I started dating Val, ate badly at great restaurants and blew back up - Weight Watchers made it easy to eat right and lose the pounds. With an app, it's even easier. So far I'm down about 13 pounds in one month, so it's a good start.

No comments: