Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cooper and Penny day-to-day

I haven't had a post about the kids' daily schedule in a while. I like to post these if only because it's fun to look back in a few years and see what life was like at a certain point in their development.

It's also important because if I don't post it, I will have forgotten it. Seriously, I cannot remember what our schedule was like, what the kids were like or what Val and I went through just six months ago.

1:30 a.m. - I wake up, put on my gym clothes, get my lunch together, grab my gym bag and head to ATC Fitness. I work out, shower and get to work at 3:30.

Middle of the night - Cooper climbs into bed with Val. He waits until I get up since Val's too tired to turn him away. Not that she wants to. Even though we said we'd never let our kids sleep overnight with us, it's so nice to snuggle up. Of course, when Penny's old enough to get out of her bed that may be two too many kids in bed!

7ish - Penny wakes up somewhere between 6 and 7:30, waking Cooper and Val up as well. The kids wake up with strawberry Nesquik-flavored milk and watch a show.

The current favorite shows include:

Toy Story - They really enjoy all three movies. Hey, so do I! If they want to watch them for the 100th time in a week, let's do it!

"Octonauts" - Cooper is a big fan right now of Captain Barnacles the polar bear and his intrepid crew that includes Quasi the pirate cat and others, including vegetables (which, yeah, is a little weird; not that talking starfish isn't).

"Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" - Cooper used to really like Mickey and the gang, and Penny does now.

"Winnie the Pooh" - Any of the shows and movies are a pleasure, and both kids have stuffed Pooh bears and fight over Cooper's Piglet. We need to get back to the Disney Store to get Penny her own Piglet, although she'd probably still try to get both hers and Cooper's!

9-10 - Once Val's coffee from her Keurig has kicked in it is breakfast time, usually strawberry Eggo waffles.

Noon - Daddy's home! Val tries to go to the gym while I play with the kids and then feed them lunch.

1 p.m. - Nap time! Penny goes down with her four bears and me and Cooper head to my bed. If Val's not working she crashes on the couch, otherwise she goes to work at Chick-fil-A at 2 o'clock.

Cooper rarely actually naps nowadays, but I have to nap to stay sane and alive, so while I sleep he sits next to me in bed and either plays games on the Kindle Fire or watches a show. I don't let him out of the bedroom lest he wake up Penny by playing loudly.

3 p.m. - Up from naps, we eat snacks and watch shows while the kids sit in my lap, Penny still holding all four of her bears that she grabs when I get her out of the crib.

4 p.m. - The kids are hopefully playing and not watching "Toy Story" yet again depending on my level of tiredness, and depending on the weather we'll go outside to play in the backyard.

5 p.m. - Dinner, which alternates between chicken and fries, frozen spaghetti dinner, rice and beans from Mezcal, mac and cheese, or pizza. Or if they won't eat, they get a plate full of grapes and strawberries, or a couple of granola bars and some goldfish crackers.

6 p.m. - Bathtime. Penny splashes until we get two inches of water on the floor, then she gets out and lotioned up. Cooper then plays for a while in the bath. We alternate many days between using bleach or oatmeal in the bath as prescribed by the allergy doctor.

7 p.m. - Penny goes to bed. On nights Val is working I try to do this right before Val gets home, even though Penny jibber-jabbers in her bed for another half-hour.

8 p.m. - Time to unwind. Cooper takes his medicines, then we sit on the big chair watching a show while he eats snacks. He doesn't really sit in my lap, though. He requests that I stretch my legs out on the coffee table so he can lay on them, hang off them, do calisthenics.

8:30 p.m. - Bedtime! Val picks up Cooper for "sack of potatoes time" as they call it, to go to bed. Seriously, it's so cute. When his show ends he knows it's time, so he giggles excitedly and runs up to Val and says, "Sack of potatoes!"

Val and I get on our knees to lean over his race car bed to say prayers and sing songs. He always argues against the praying, but I think that's because to a 3 1/2 year old the idea of closing your eyes and sitting still is anathema to everything he believes. So we pray for him, then we sing - in order - "Jesus Loves Me," "Jesus Loves the Little Children" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star."

We give him kisses and walk out, but he spends the next half-hour "going to the bathroom," which really means he keeps asking us to leave his door cracked properly, playing in the bathroom or sitting in the hallway making sure we're really going to sleep.

9 p.m. - Bedtime for Mommy and Daddy. Well, Daddy at least. Val is on the Fire, reading and playing games, until she can't keep her eyes open anymore.

No comments: