Monday, February 25, 2013

Let's get physical, physical

A few weeks ago Darling Valerie and I decided to do something about our extra weight beyond good talking points. What I mean, of course, is that Val looks awesome and just as thin as the day we got married so she's only doing this to indulge me because, hey, it couldn't hurt to eat a few extra veggies, right? (Save!)

The first week I dropped ten pounds, so my body was properly shocked into realizing the fat cells are going to get kicked out of their comfortable homes in every nook and cranny of my person.

Two days before we started I weighed myself at the highest I've ever been, which means this couldn't come at a better time!

Thanks to Darling Valerie's push, we joined the ATC Fitness a couple of miles from our house. ATC stands for "Around the Clock," so I started going dark and early every morning before work. Every night before bed I get my gym bag ready so that when my phone alarm wakes me up at 1:33 a.m. I put on my sweats, grab the bag, grab my food for work from the fridge and head out. After about 30-40 minutes of cardio and strength training I take a shower there and head to work by 3:30 like usual.

Waking up earlier than usual isn't a big deal since I'm used to being tired, and what better way to get over it than go exercise and get some endorphins coursing through my increasingly hot bod?

My routine so far is to glide for 30 minutes on the eliptical on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, then 15 minutes on Tuesdays and Thursdays followed by 20 minutes of strength training. There is a row of the machines that covers most of the major muscles so I don't have to explore the strangest machines in the back of the room.

My favorite by far is the leg curl because it has two handles on top, making me feel like a Spaceship Captain Jeff flying through space zapping evil aliens.

And yes, I make the "pyew! pyew!" sound while on it.

Working out is easy. Eating right? Not as much. I am rather addicted to fast food and all the bad stuff I can get from the drive thru, not to mention peanut M&Ms from the vending machine at work.

I am peachy with eating nothing but chicken and vegetables, but any variant can throw me off. I'm not good about actually counting the calories so to start I'm just kind of figuring that if I eat well enough and workout that the weight will come off.

I also really need to cut down on the amount of soft drinks. I was downing five or six a day, one because they are awesome, and two for the caffeine!

Portion size is the most important part of this because some days we're going to eat my mom-in-law's cooking on Wednesdays and I cannot resist. I like to eat a lot of food, so I have to make sure that all of it is low-calorie. Some days if I eat enough of a big meal I can skip lunch and not care. One good thing about having little kids is that I am so focused on making sure they eat their dinner that I don't care what I'm eating or how much there is. It especially helps when we eat out, because I won't be tempted to splurge if I know I won't enjoy the meal anyway.

Start date - 2/11/13
Start weight - 396
Weight last week - 386
Weight this week, Feb. 25 - 383
Weight loss this week - 3
Weight loss since Start - 3
Ultimate Goal - 225

3 comments:

Amy Christopher said...

Jeff and Val

So proud of you. I was actually going to ask you if you were still working on the weight loss. I know you have been successful in the past and how cool to do it together? I obviously have a lot of weight to lose and this is quite motivating..Thanks guys! See ya on the skinny side!

erin said...

Go, Jeff, go!!

Jeff said...

Thanks, y'all! As parents with young kids I know you have the same thoughts about getting in shape for their sake, and wanting to be around for a long time!