I don't know if my pastor is aware of this, but once a year he forces every man in his congregation to become a "pants on fire" level liar.
As spring turns to summer and the temperatures rise, so does the amount of skin shown by the females of the congregation.
(Not to mention our own Godly Daddy contributor Chris rolling up his sleeves to show off his guns up in the choir loft.)
When the pastor points out the increasing reduction in fabric and asks for decency, every guy has to shrug to his spouse and say that he "hadn't noticed."
The guy will also not be nearly brave enough to point out that his spouse is wearing a tube top and daisy dukes and gave the usher a heart episode when she walked into the sanctuary.
Seriously men, let's be honest here, even though we try to be Godly Daddies we are still dudes at heart. We try to avoid temptations, but it's really difficult to keep that mind clean when there are so many females out there. In fact, sometimes it seems like at least half the other people around us are women.
What can you do when you pass by a pretty lady, rather than stare and start getting the wrong thoughts? You could close our eyes, think of baseball and whisper "I love my wife, I love my wife."
Of course, you would then walk into a building (because your eyes are still closed).
Here are five stumbling blocks that may cause you to pluck your eyes out lest they make you sin, a la Matthew 5:27-29:
1) The Summer Olympics - Get your Godly Mommy to admit that she watched swimming a little too closely, and you can admit that you has a series recording of all the Dutch women's field hockey games because you like their "technique."
2) Fox News Channel - They have a tendency to use leggy blondes, which apparently makes it easier to digest news about war and destruction. 2.1 would be The Weather Channel for the same reason.
3) Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition - At any given time, Adolescent Jeff had at least six pictures on his wall from this issue, which is still 80 percent less than my sisters had on their walls from Tiger Beat.
4) Facebook - And just why did you "friend" that old flame or old crush? What are you going to get out of it? Quick, go listen to Garth Brooks' "Unanswered Prayers."
5) "NSFW" - If you see this on the Internet, eliminate that temptation and close the page you're looking at immediately, then burn your computer. Pamela Paul documented in Pornified, “Men look at pornography online more than they look at any other subject. And 66 percent of 18- to 34-year-old men visit a pornographic site every month.” (Serious stastic thrown in to prove this isn't all fun and games.)
So what can a Godly Daddy-wannabe do to avoid temptations of the flesh?
The Bible makes it clear that as God's grace has saved us, we are to avoid "godlessness and worldly lusts and to live in a sensible, righteous, and godly way in the present age." (Titus 2:12)
My best advice is to be prayerful and make your marriage as strong as possible. Do you remember when you were all googly-eyed for your wife-to-be? No other woman even registered in your mind, so absorbed were you.
Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 7:5 not to "deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control."
See? You can even be assured that to keep the romance alive is Biblical, so keep your eyes on your own prize!