Monday, October 19, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!

I'm not one to hype my birthday anymore, but still, Yay Me! It's birthday number 34, my last without a child to make me a big plate of eggs, bacon and toast for breakfast (with the help of Mommy of course). The first 34 will be NOTHING like the next 90!
 
This was the kind of weekend I was looking forward to when I switched to a Monday-through-Friday shift for the first time in my adult life last month.
 
Amid the cool, crisp Fall weather, Saturday I took care of a few chores, did some shopping for the nursery at Target and Lowe's while Val was at a baby shower for her cousin Josh's wife, Cathy, who is due two weeks after our mini Cooper, and enjoyed some meatloaf at Cracker Barrel for dinner before watching football and baseball on the couch while Val fell asleep in my lap.
 
Sunday, we went to church for the debut of Pastor David at First Baptist Millington, lunched with my in-laws and Val's Mammaw at Old Timer's, stopped at Kroger on the way home and even bought some popcorn from the Cub Scouts out front. After all, I may have a boy soliciting folks like that in the next decade. I feel bad for them, too, because the Girl Scouts have such a monopoly with their cookies. Anyway, back home I made a big batch of Mom's chili in the crockpot, cleaned out the garage enough to fit my car back in there and then read the paper and watched some NFL games while Val napped on the couch.
 
Sure, it could have been more active, but that's a perfectly relaxing weekend for me, especially since it could be the last one for a long, long time!
 
Oh, and in case you're wondering, after all of the controversy last month, Pastor David did just fine and he's the kind of preacher that will keep regulars awake and visitors coming back, a fine mix of humor, soothing reassurance of God's love and some righteous shouting for punctuation.
 
We did not stand for scripture as the interim pastor had us do, the choir broke out their special robes with the doves on the collar, and the music director busted out with a best-of montage of upbeat clappy hymns and emotional ones as well. Although, you have to wonder when he picks out hymns that have phrases like "lift our holy hands" in a Southern Baptist Church. (Some do, but the new pastor? Nope.)
 
The most interesting part was that Pastor David chose the book of Revelation for his main scripture, which, wow, not a common book that preacher's acknowledge in our parts. He wasn't talking about End Times, though, but building a church foundation, so it's all good. Not that Revelation isn't God's word, it's just one that most pastor's avoid, is all I'm sayin'.

5 comments:

HK said...

Congratulations on the no-standing policy. That's huge! :)

Scott Rushing said...

Mmmmm....Cracker Barrel....

HK said...

Happy Birthday, by the way. Here's my present to you. Ever heard of S.E. Cupp? 30-year-old conservative commentator and writer. I just saw her last night on C-span. She is an atheist, but she spoke last night about how much she admires those with religion. She is intelligent, articulate and sensible and not nearly as offensive as Ann Coulter. I liked her alot. I will agree with her on some things and disagree with her on some things, but I liked her style alot. She represents our age group very well. Check her out at redsecupp.com. You might like her. Happy Birthday!

P.S. Realize that I don't have Fox News so if everybody is already aware of her and she's a big deal, then just disregard my "gift" and better luck next year. ha!

Jeff said...

Actually, Heather, I've never heard of her! But I'll check out some of her writings and see if she'll become one of my regular rotation.

JorgeR said...

Happy B-day Brother...