Thursday, September 10, 2009

Jeff's Top 5: Fall Movies I'm Anticipating

There aren't many movies that look any good through Thanksgiving, so this is mostly a Top, Eh, Five Fall Movies I'm Anticipating:

1. The Informant - Matt Damon is the worst whistleblower in the entire world. Directed by Steven Soderbergh.

2. Amelia - I've never been much of a Hilary Swank fan, but I'm betting on this as an inspiring film. (Oct. 23)

3. The Invention of Lying - Ricky Gervais in a world where everyone is completely honest, and how you can manipulate everyone else if you're the only one who lies. (Oct. 2)

4. The Men Who Stare At Goats - George Clooney and psychic military kooks, it kind of reminds me of Three Kings meets Tropic Thunder.

5. Where the Wild Things Are - Spike Jonze should make this classic children's book plenty weird.

Not interested, but you may be:

Zombieland - Not my thing, but this will have a huge cult following.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon - I'm not a 16-year-old girl, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Surrogates - Bruce Willis inhabits a world where people stay home, hook into fake bodies and act out life like they would without fear. And then people start dying. Craptacular. (Sept. 25)

Extract - By the same filmmakers as Office Space, which is pretty much all the advertising says. That seems to be a bad sign.

Love Happens - If there's going to be one chick-flick to see, this, starring Aaron Eckhart and Jennifer Aniston, will probably be it. The trailer appears to be the whole film, though.

A Serious Man - By the Coen Brothers. (Oct. 2)

A Christmas Carol - We always make room for holiday fare, though why is this coming out three weeks before Thanksgiving? And starring Jim Carrey? It's also animated, so that's not good. (Nov. 6)

The Buzz Trailer right now is actually a December release by is James "King of the World" Cameron for his long-awaited Avatar, featuring 10-foot-tall blue alien primitives who look to be battling evil Earthling warriors, and really, do we need to go to alien worlds to bash ourselves? The effects don't exactly wow me, either, so count me out.

2012 - In case you haven't heard, an ancient Mayan calendar stopped counting in December 2012, so all kinds of Art Bell listener-types have decided that it means the end of the world. John Cusack will certainly face such nuts in this movie, and surprise surprise, it will probably be all true!

5 comments:

Scott Rushing said...

I've already decided to spend full ticket prices on The Informant and The Men Who Stare at Goats. Can't say I'm too interested in the rest, although all of my friends seem to want to see Where the Wild Things Are.

Jeff said...

I won't see any of those in the theater. But when they're on Redbox or on Demand at midnight when Cooper's wide awake, I'm all over it!

Rann said...

I saw Extract this past Saturday. I was disappointed. A few belly laughs; but very slow.

HK said...

awww, i am excited to see Extract. I love Jason Bateman and Mila Kunis. I want Jason to have a big hit.

Jeff said...

Yeah, it'll be a cable pick in three years.