Thursday, July 30, 2009

Say it ain't so, Papi

I wish I could express genuine surprise that David Ortiz, perhaps the best clutch hitter in Red Sox history and the cornerstone of the 2004 and 2007 World Series title teams, apparently tested positive for steroids in 2003, one of over 100 major leaguers who did so.

Still, despite the joy of the Red Sox haters, I don't see how this taints our championship celebrations. The test was in 2003, we won later, so as far as we know he was clean. Of course, Manny Ramirez also tested positive that year and this year again, so he's a big fat stupid cheater whose reputation in Boston can't get any lower.

What I will say, and I said it when A-Fraud's results became public too, is that whomever is leaking these tests that were supposed to be kept private, should be sued, convicted and indicted.

After the news came out and no doubt spread like wildfire through Fenway Park this afternoon, Big Papi hit a three-run homer to beat the A's, so yeah, all's forgiven. I'm so easy.

2 comments:

The Chipped Mug said...

Last night, Manny was playin the Cards and he got booed at the plate. Sad to see such talent go to waste.

Jeff said...

I would imagine Manny gets booed anywhere by L.A. nowadays. What gets me is that Red Sox fans always considered him a lovable moron, but with all the steroids clearly he's more sinister than we thought.