Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I have issues, and opinions, and issues


The Tigers finished second in the final regular season poll for the coaches and No. 3 in the AP. How often has it happened that a team is ranked No. 2 or 3 in the final poll of the season and isn't a No. 1 seed for the NCAA tournament? Not that Coach Cal needs extra motivation for his players, but Memphis can seriously play the "no one believes we're any good" card.

It's ridiculous how often my work's email requires us to change our password. I started in March '07 with ******01, and have now worked my way up to ******08. Do the math, that's every three months I have to update something that nobody outside of my workplace gives a rat's patootie about.

"So You Think You Can Dance" was in town Monday for tryouts, as Memphis is one of just six audition cities this season. Yesterday was the initial cattle call of thousands of hopefuls, and we had our morning show on location to take in the fun. And it was. Even though I stayed in the studio for my part, I was doggone giddy when we interviewed host Cat Deeley. We even got her to dance a little with our anchors at the end, which she definitely won't do on air, so points to us! The judges weren't here, though, they'll show up today and tomorrow at The Orpheum to pick apart the crappy dancers brought back for a laugh, and those who actually have a chance.

Life as a homeowner continues to amaze. Shelby County just mailed out 86,000 new property tax appraisals from the county assessor, including to those of us in Lakeland. My initial thought was, "Wow, they are really looking to boost our taxes!" The average increase for Lakeland was 10 percent, ours went up eight percent. We already bought the house last year for a few thousand dollars less than the 2005 appraisal, but now this means that the price we paid for our house is $17,800 less than what it's now going to be taxed. Mind you, only those of us in the 'burbs are seeing a boost. Those in the city are either staying put or have gone done in worth, so the county is looking to get us to pay for everything. Welcome to Memphis.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Have you seen Glenn Beck's "The Inconvenient Debt"? If not, Hopefully this link will take you there:

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=3479955&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/glennbeck/index.html#

I came across it and thought you might appreciate it;)

Jeff said...

No, I hadn't seen that yet ... hold on ...

Glenn's a hoot. I'm glad he found a home on Fox News because based on my experiences working at CNN, I don't think many others wanted him on their network.