Saturday, July 21, 2007

Brief trip

Val and I got back from a 20-hour jaunt to Florence, Alabama, visiting with most of her Jackson friends, just in time for me to get to work. We drove up at 4 yesterday after she got off work, and had to leave at 12:30 this afternoon for the nearly three hour drive. That's a quick trip!
 
Not that we didn't have a great time, of course. We grilled out (Michael had the burgers, I handled hot dogs, on Michelle's new grill), joked around, and played Trivial Pursuit, which Val and I won. Our marriage agreement is that she carries the load in card games, I do my part at trivia, especially worthless knowledge that no one needs to know. 
 
Making it faster on the drive home, Val read the first few chapters of The Deathly Hollows to me, once we found it. Can you believe that the book wasn't at K-Mart, yet next door at Kroger there were plenty? And that's why K-Mart can't stay open anymore.
 
I beg all of you, no spoilers! No insinuation at all, please, of what happens! It may take me a few extra days, whereas many of you are already finished, I know!
 
 
 

13 comments:

Scott said...

No worries...I'm only halfway through the book, and won't finish it until tomorrow night at the earliest.

We picked up our copy at Wal-Mart, where there was quite the lengthy line at midnight last night. But they had plenty of copies.

erin said...

I'm finished. I can't believe Harry has a twin brother!

Pandora said...

I just finished it but no spoilers I promise. That was really nice of Valerie to read to you! Stacy and I picked ours up last night at Meijer and they could not have done a worse job of handling it. They had absolutely no plan when we got there at 10:15 so we shopped until 10:30 and ended up being about 10th in line. Then they moved us to the back corner of the store in a small corner so that the line lead back to the checkouts, so once we got out books we had to wind our way back to the checkout lanes. Then they only had 2 checkouts opened and the self checkout was closed! Ick. Anyway, we were still home by about 12:30.

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

It turns out the entire series was an al-Quidea plot to lull Americans and Britains into a dull stupor this weekend. A major attack will be hatched today and we'll have funded it to. (btw, JK on JK Rowling is Jamal Kahn).

Jeff said...

You were almost correct, Michael. Except that it was Pakistan where terrorists tried to blow up a mall where Potter shoppers were getting the final book.

amy said...

Now I am paranoid!

Scott said...

OK, I'm done. Let us know when you're finished so we can all chat!

Jeff said...

Still only through chapter 14, having stayed up till 3 a.m. last night to catch up to where Val's at so we can talk about it!

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

Do you guys each have a copy or are you having to share one?

erin said...

Did you watch Age of Love last night? I can't get it to load on the NBC site, and I need to know who got the heave-ho.

Valerie said...

Michael,
We bought two copies. There was no way we could both read the same copy at the same time. We're trying to keep up with each other, so we can at least talk to each other. Jeff is a head of me at the moment, but we are both half-way through.

Erin,
We did watch Age of Love. Jeff will probably write something up soon. It was a terrible, terrible episode. The girls got drunk and fought...hilarious. Here's the spoiler if you want it...Jayanna got the boot. You would have to watch it to see if you were surprised. Basically, as Jeff put it, Mark is doing Amanda's bidding. Amanda told him about how earlier in the day Jayanna told her that she couldn't trust her feelings or something to that affect...so he kicked Jayanna to the curb, literally since she had to stay at the camp while the others left on the bus to head back to the hotel.

steven.russell said...

what is a harry potter?

it sounds disgusting.

stacy said...

Done yet done yet??? Start an email so we can discuss! Mom wants to be on the email too :) She's reading the blogs for spoilers. I loooooved it but won't say anything else :)