Monday, April 02, 2007

Go Sox!

It's baseball time! And since Boston's season doesn't start for about 14 more hours, I can safely say that they are on pace to win the World Series for the second time in four seasons!

Or they'll be down by three in the second inning Monday to the Royals, and I'll declare the whole thing over and pout.

Living in a DirecTV home, at least I'll get to see the first week in a free preview, and right now we have NESN, which is where nearly every Red Sox game is televised up in New England. We're not sure, though, if it's part of the sports package that Val's Dad gets every year to see the Cardinals play, or if it's also on a free preview. Fingers are crossed, though.

Having NESN would be tons better than Extra Innings, because I'd get to see pre-game, post-game and all day coverage of my team, as opposed to two minutes before the game, the game, and thirty seconds after the game, as Extra Innings turns it off while the players high-five on the field afterwards. Which is kind of like seeing a Bond film's climax, but missing the funny/sexy/hooray part where he seduces the Bond girl while talking naughty as the folks back in London roll their eyes.

And if the season has begun, it must time for my annual guesstimate predictions, more guess than estimate, with more than a dash of being a giant homer:

AL EAST - Boston (see?)
AL CENTRAL - Detroit
AL WEST - Anaheim
AL WILD CARD - Dang Yankees

NL EAST - NY Mets
NL CENTRAL - St. Louis
NL WEST - Los Angeles
NL WILD CARD - San Diego

AL PLAYOFFS - Boston over Detroit, Anaheim over the Dang Yanks; Boston over Anaheim

NL PLAYOFFS - Mets over San Diego, L.A. over St. Louis; Mets over L.A.

WORLD SERIES - Boston over Mets, Buckner gets the winning game ball


Now I admit, since I've been focusing on moving back to Memphis for the past month I've researched the least before a season since I was five years old. Not good for my fantasy prospects. If you can't find me, I'll be the one on the old I-55 bridge crying and yelling, "Why Hank Blalock, WHY???!!!!!"

9 comments:

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

Blech. For about an hour I had some hope. I found out that early in the Phillies/Braves opener in Philly today the Braves were up 2-0. Fortunately, Jimmy Rollins came through with a 2-out homer and while I was next away from any news source, the Phils made that a 3-2 game.
The next thing I know it's tied 3-3 in extra innings and both teams have used their closers already. Final score, Braves 5, Phillies 3 after a 2-run 10th for the Braves.

At least my Thrashers are guaranteed their franchise-first playoff spot.

Cyndi said...

AL EAST - Boston (see?)
AL CENTRAL - Detroit
AL WEST - Anaheim
AL WILD CARD - Dang Yankees
I have to disagree with you on this one!! :)

AL EAST - YANKEES!!!!!

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

I suddenly do not feel so bad as I did before...

I'm sitting at home, having worked up a nice surprise for my lovely wife, ate a couple of brats from the grill and a burger left from Saturday's grill-out, and I am watching the American cinematic classic Smokey and the Bandit.

"What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law!"

So I jump online to see what hockey is going on tonight and I hit the score page on usatoday.com.

There's only one hockey game, and there's the Braves 5, Phillies 3 score, but just above it, there's the AL scores. I notice something about KC 7 and the Bosox 1. I suddenly don't feel so bad about the Phil's loss in extra innings.

Also, it's nice having property we own as that relates to the surprise for Amy....

Cyndi said...

haha the michael burn. nice.so the yankees won their game today..

Jorge R said...

By the way, who won the game yesterday between the Red Sox/Royals?..

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

Just want to clarify, my comment re: the sox loss wasn't so much about making fun of Jeff as it was making me feel better about the Phillies. However, when my brother got home we talked about some sports of the day and he said the KC/Bos was more than a butt-kicking. :)

Jeff said...

No worries. Since I didn't watch the game, the loss never happened. Hear me? NEVER. HAPPENED.

Scott said...

Didn't the Royals get demoted to AAA during the offseason? How did the Sox lose to a AAA team?

Jeff said...

Yeah, yeah, rub it in. But after we've rattled off 20 wins in 25 games and sit in first in the AL East by June, we'll talk.