Saturday, March 17, 2007

White-Knuckle Action

Val and I just picked up the moving truck from Penske, and let me tell you, that is a terrifying experience. Driving the 22-footer with a car-carrier attached, I mean, not the picking up part.

Twice already I've run over curbs, and we haven't even put Val's car on the darn thing yet. Okay, the first time didn't count, since it was right out of the Penske place, and it's really unfair to put a two-foot by two-foot flower bed in the middle of a parking lot. The second time was pulling into the complex, and I'm guessing I'll be making wide right turns from here on out. Yeek. Pray for me!

The other problem, figuring out where to put the truck and car carrier until we load up tomorrow. Right now it's taking up an entire row of parking spaces near the leasing office, since I'm not entirely sure how to park the truck and unattach the car carrier or where to leave that, and I'll feel more comfortable once we pick up my father-in-law at the airport in an hour and let him help.

In the meantime, since Thursday about 1 p.m. we've owned the center spot in front of our apartment. After lunch Thursday I got that spot. When Val got off work, I moved and she parked in it. Ever since we've alternated, because when it's time to back the truck up to the apartment, darn tootin' I'm going to have that center spot for an easier load! For I am man, and hear me roar! (And yes, I will drive around and around a parking lot at Target to get the closest space. It's my duty.)

In the meantime, might I suggest that anyone driving between Atlanta and Memphis on Monday either help me by getting out of my way, or shore up your insurance.

UPDATE 7:00 p.m. - Okay, so I'm a big wuss, and we returned the car carrier and Val will drive her car with me in the truck and her dad in my car on Monday. Seems easier this way, though not for my wife, unfortunately. Now, though, time to head downtown for the Josh Groban concert!

6 comments:

Steven M. Russell said...

See. I moved myself all the way down to New Orleans for the weekend to stay out of your way.

Am I a great friend or what?

I also found out yesterday that should the Tigers win, I will be following them to San Antonio.

We would drive back Monday and then leave again on Tuesday.

Pandora said...

Good luck with the move and be careful!

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

Okay Jeff, Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Carolla called looking for you, they want you to turn in your man card. I didn't tell them you were at a Josh Groban concert because I didn't want them sending a tac team into the arena to take you by force and administer large doses of testosterone. BTW I spent my day doing the manly deed of cutting up a 45ft oak tree with a chainsaw. Apparently Steven's leak drained the life from this fine oak here in Georgia.

Speaking of Georgia, as I have Memphis in the final four, if Memphis makes the final four will Steven be coming to Atlanta? Could be fun. I'll be finishing a week of another Chick-fil-a grand opening that weekend.

Steven M. Russell said...

Hopefully Steven would be. But we shall see.

Karen said...

LOL...it seems like just yesterday I was following a 26' gigantic yellow Penske truck. Oh wait, that was last week:-) Hopefully you have good weather and light wind. Nick had trouble keeping it in his lane in the OK wind which was over 25+ miles per hour the day we came across the state. There is a reason why the song starts out: Oooooooooooklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains; (He didn't find that too funny at the moment though)lol.

Rann said...

I think you made a smart decision. Pulling a car behind the rental truck is not for the faint of heart; and especially with all the idiots out there on the highways. Good luck! And take your time!