Saturday, March 17, 2007

Josh Groban in concert

Val and I really enjoyed the Josh Groban concert tonight at Philips Arena downtown. And contrary to what Michael said below, there is nothing girly about enjoying a Josh Groban concert, and we had a pair of lesbians sitting below us to prove it!

Of course, the crowd could tell you his main audience: 99 percent between the age of 30-60, middle to upper-middle class, and whiter than a fresh snowfall.

Josh (Can I call him Josh? Thanks.) sang most of the songs you'd recognize save for a couple that we guess he left for the end after we departed, went into the crowd for a couple of songs, and gave us a few laughs with some between-song witty banter. He has a band of six or so folks who travel with him, and they apparently recruit local musicians to top it off and sit in the back, since there was a contingent of Atlantans behind him as the orchestra. My compliments on the violinist as well. I loves me some violins.

It was exactly the kind of concert I enjoy, getting in our seats as the opening act finishes, sitting down the entire time, taking it all in with the same contented smile on my face the whole time, and never having to worry about standing/sitting/standing/sitting, drunken fans, marijuana smoke drifting around or overly loud speakers. I tell ya, I'll never go to a Bette Midler concert again! (I kid! It was Air Supply. Okay, no, but I have been to one of their concerts, at least.)

My only complaint was the seating. We paid a decent amount to sit in the first level facing the stage, but the space between the seats was so small that even Val felt scrunched, and she's a tiny 5'2! Me? 6'4, not so much on the tiny side. I'll put it this way, I was missing the little seats at Fenway Park, that's how little leg room I had.

But all in all, that was a small thing compared to attending the first concert with my wife, seeing an artist she really likes, and taking a break from all the moving. Good times.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing like singing to a dead crowd....

Pandora said...

It sounds like you had a good time. :) That's what matters, regardless of the dumbass anonymous post above that you're probably going to delete.

Jeff said...

I didn't say the crowd was dead. It was actually quite festive. I just wasn't one of screamers.

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

So it's safe to say that Jeff's boxers were at no time in danger of being thrown on the satge.

Scott said...

So who is Josh Groban? Do I know any of his songs?

Jeff said...

You've heard some of his mainstream stuff, like "You Raise Me Up," though I like his less-mainstream songs better. The ones like "You Are Loved" are just for him to make money, IMHO.