Monday, March 05, 2007

Farewell to The Peach State

ATTENTION: THIS IS BIG NEWS


Thanks for Noticing Me is returning to its homeland.

Yep. Team Valfrey is heading back to Memphis, a little over four months since we said our I Dos, and almost nine years to the day I started working in Atlanta at CNN Headline News (March 2, 1998, to be exact).

I will be a Director for WHBQ Fox13 News, headquartered near the U. of Memphis, covering the morning shows Thursday and Friday, and evening shows Saturday, Sunday and Monday.

After a little over nine years in Atlanta, it's time to go back home to Tennessee. To think of it in other terms, the years I consider my formative childhood years were 1981 to 1991, the amount of time my family lived in our home on Ancroft Cove in Memphis. Since I moved to Atlanta less than a year out of college, I suppose you could call these nine years, then, my formative adult years, learning how to be a grown-up. Now, I feel my career has been successful, I married my true love, and it's time to move on, er, back.

I always said that I wouldn't want to live in Atlanta forever and raise a family. Of course, at the same time, I always thought the idea of moving back to Memphis would mean I was a failure. I've never stopped being proud of being from there, though. Today I see it as returning to a place that is my home, my wife's home, and a central location to see all of our family and friends.

Dear Atlanta,

It's not you, it's me. I'm just in a different place in my life. I hope we can still be friends. Sincerely, Jeff


In many ways I disliked Atlanta. Traffic is a headache, the city is so vast that it's impossible to quickly get from one side to the next, you never get a feel for the area and meeting people is difficult.

On the other hand, there are also many things to miss, especially being able to watch four major sports teams (yes, the Hawks are still in the NBA). Of course, the ultimate was working at CNN, and being able to tell people I worked at CNN. That's always good for a head nod and "ooh, yeah?"

So we're moving from a town with 59 streets with Peachtree in the name to a town with 59 different ways to fix barbecue. That's worth something, right?

In case you're curious, this started early in February, when I joined TVJobs.com in the hopes of finding a position this year. Of course, I didn't need TVJobs.com, since my personal web browser, i.e. Val, found the job on WHBQ's site before it even posted to TVJobs! I sent my resume, interviewed the Friday before last, and accepted last Friday. I didn't post before this because I put in my two-week notice today, and I didn't want a co-worker spilling the beans to my supervisor!

Also, my family was in town this weekend, and we were having much too much fun to get to the computer! Pictures from the weekend are being put together now, and I'll have them soon, in between all the calls to find movers, boxes, storage in Memphis and everything else that comes with moving to another city in three weeks.

First day at WHBQ: March 26.

Watch out, Memphis, we're coming home!

32 comments:

amy said...

What about those you are leaving behind?

Jeff said...

Obviously there will have to be a final get-together!

Steven said...

Ahhh. The news is out! I can tell everyone!!!!!

Jeff and Steven...

Reunited and it feels so good!

Steven said...

And I meant that in a totally heterosexual non-gay way.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Valerie said...

Um, what have I done? Is it safe to have the two of you together in such close proximity?

Cyndi said...

haha..I knew form steven saying you made him happy you had big news but i thought ya'll were pregnant.
Welcome home!!!
and surrrre Steven you meant it in a totally heterosexual non-gay way.riigght...;)back off steven he's a happily married man.
And I'm happy for you being in the same town with your best friend.

amy said...

cyndi, I still ponder that one as Jeff once told me " As soon as we are expecting, we are heading back home for help"..Rumors are not good.. But most of who I included on my blog post today is on this one..heehee

amy (as in amy and michael)

Scott said...

My radio's picking up...FM 100...I hear Memphis, calling me home...

Jeff said...

One thing at a time! Move back, get a house, win the lottery, have babies.

Cyndi said...

hahaha..I was just wondering if you had something else to add..

Jorge R said...

Congrats Jeff....You hit the Karma motherload...This is going to be a tough year to top...Me thinks you are going to have to sink a putt on 18th to win the Masters, hit a walk-off home run a'la Bucky Dent, or, play lead guitar on Freebird...

Tim Ellsworth said...

Congrats on the new gig, Jeff.

Steven said...

days later and i am still secretly doing the dance of joy at val and jeff returning home.

and val, jen is equally excited about having a familair couple to hang out with.

this is gonna be fun!

Jenn said...

Congrats!! You'll be a block away from where I work and park my car!! (which means you are just thismuchcloser to all the crime in Memphis.) Woohoo!

Scott said...

Has anyone seen Jorge since he made that comment? Dad's not in custody or anything, right?

Jorge R said...

Scott, your Dad is fine..Simple misunderstanding...I'm told since no witnesses have come forward, he'll be home by dinner..&, just for the record, whats up with those mopeds driving on the major roads here..Your Dad gave the courtesy "honk" before giving that dude the "Jeep" enema...

Scott said...

OK good...I was worried that after that Bucky Dent comment...well, you know, Dad can't be held responsible for his actions immediately following any mentions of Bucky Dent, John McNamara, or Aaron Boone.

Jeff said...

Huh? What? Where am I?

Oh, sorry, I passed out in rage over the Bucky Dent comment.

William said...

Congrats!

Karen said...

Congrats on the new job. We just moved the rest of our stuff from our storage unit in Millington yesterday and we used J Cooper Moving to load the truck. They had the best rates in the Memphis area and were very fast, polite, and careful with our stuff. We also discovered that Penske trucks were MUCH cheaper than any other rental company and they have free unlimited miles. Hope that helps!:-)

Jeff said...

J.Cooper won't be able to help us unload, but yeah, I did see that Penske is the cheapest rental truck company, so that's something. Wish we were rich so we could let a big company do it ALL for us, though!

Julie said...

Congrats, and welcome back! sounds like you'll be back just in time to watch the Tigers in the tourney from home base!

stacy said...

Congrats Valfrey!!! I look forward to frequent visits in the near future :)

Rann said...

BTW, Bucky Dent's home run was NOT a walk-off home run!!!

Jeff said...

Bucky who?

Oh, you mean Bucky F****** Dent? Sorry, didn't recognize him without his middle name.

By the way, Karen, what storage place did y'all use in Millington?

Karen said...

We used Kingston Lake Self-Storage. They just opened up the climate control area very recently (ours was not climate control). One word of warning though: as I am unpacking, I am finding spiders and mouse poopy in some of the boxes and that is gross, but it might happen at any storage place. This one is behind Walmart and next to a field so that probably didn't help. I just have to clean and wash EVERYTHING to make sure it is safe:-) The Penske place in Millington closed on Saturday and we needed a truck Monday so we had to go to Whitten Road to pick it up, it was that or Ripley. It was a nice truck that got up to 70 and had cruise control, Nick said it drove better than the UHaul, Budget, and Ryder trucks we have used before. Email me at kpuleski@gmail.com if you have any other questions or need anything:-)

misawa said...

Jeff, that's awesome! It's also something MyVal and I have contemplated many, many times (moving out of the big city and back to small town life). Keep me posted on the going-away shindig.

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

It's hard to be happy for anyone here because it's been a wonderful experience getting to know Jeff over the past year and meeting Val and making the trip for the Wedding of the Century and all that. I realize all of y'all in TN are to be thrilled to have them return so soon. As for Amy and me, what's the old Star Trek saying, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one."

Part of the honest truth is that with my personality and our joint schedules, it's pretty tough for Amy and me to have many friends to do things with, so we were lucky to have Jeff and Val here. Amy makes it sound so simple to say, "oh we can move to TN." But again reality plays into it so much, jobs, making our house saleable, etc. Sigh. Jeff I may need to borrow an Eeyore. Or I just might keep the one we got for you in January but have not been able to give you because we have not seen you in two months despite living 10 miles away. Sigh.

Jeff said...

That's right nice of you to say, Michael. Thanks. It certainly has been nice to be able to spend time with you and Amy over the past year, and I do wish we'd all had more chances to do so. Alas, as Misawa and Mark can confirm, Valfrey never even got to get together with them here in Atlanta before we're skedaddling!

Jeff said...

Karen, looks like we're going with a place affiliated with U-Haul that's right down the street from her parents' called Freedom Self Storage. And yep, we hired Penske for our truck. Thanks for the help!

Eric C said...

Penske for the truck rental? WTH? Scott and Jen had such good luck with those ABF people! : )

I guess I better enjoy Steve's company while I can...Cause I doubt I'll ever see him again once you'll get into town.

BTW, I don't know if you're gonna be apartment hunting or house hunting, but if/when it's the latter, I know a decent, trustworthy Realtor.

Jeff said...

Everyone keeps noting that Steve and I will be reunited. What are y'all expecting to happen?!

And why are these guys in sunglasses who keep talking to their wrists keeping an eye on me all of a sudden?