Saturday, January 20, 2007

NFL Final Four Picks

Who's going to Jeff's Super Bowl? The Patriots and Bears. Who will I be rooting for? The Colts and Bears.

But unlike many, many years, I'm fine with whomever ends up in the big game in two weeks. Pats-Bears, Pats-Saints, Colts-Bears, Colts-Saints, Daniel LaRusso-Johnny Lawrence, whatever. All would be compelling matchups for different reasons.

Let's break open the chips & dip, pizza and wings, and now that I'm in my 30s, the Pepcid Complete and watch some football!


UPDATE 6:47 p.m. - 1-for-1 with Da Bears manhandling New Orleans. Not to put too weird an analogy on the game, but wasn't it like the Battle of the Bulge, with Chicago as the Allies pushing through Axis lines, the Axis fights hard briefly but ultimately is overwhelmed. Or the Saints couldn't hold onto the ball. Either way.

UPDATE 10:20 p.m. - Good for the Colts! Even better for Peyton! Nice to see them finally get that Patriots monkey off their backs. And all the folks who tired of seeing New England have no excuse for Super Bowl XLI in two weeks. Early edge for the game? I've gotta say the Colts, but the Bears defense is so good I don't think I would confident betting my own money. No matter how much praise Peyton gets, though, he still has to win the Super Bowl or he'll forever be compared to Dan Marino.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Yogi Berra once said, its hard to make predictions, especially about the future.

I foresee the Bears and Patriots winning. But I will be rooting for the Saints and Colts.

I'm one of those critics that Bill Simmons fought back against in his column this week. I have a ton of respect for the Pats, because they are winning with lesser skilled players, and they are definitely not outspending everyone else. However, after 3 Super Bowl wins in 4 years, I'm tired of seeing them in the big games. I want to see Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl, not Tom Brady again.

And in the NFC, who really wants to see Thomas Jones and Rex Grossman in the Super Bowl? How lame that would be. Now, Drew Brees, Deuce McAllister, and Reggie Bush would provide an exciting alternative to the Colts offense. That would be a fun game, no doubt about it.

Steven M. Russell said...

Who I want: Colts and Saints.

Who I am afraid we will get: Bears and Patriots.

Steven M. Russell said...

Da Bears....

And Da ???

Sexy Rexie in South Beach. I think that is ADD waiting to happen.

Jeff said...

The Bears only have a chance in the Super Bowl if they score points off turnovers like today. If Rex has to win the game, it's over. He's awful under pressure.

Jeff said...

And Scott, I understand why folks are tired of seeing New England, and even though I'm not a pure Patriots fan, I enjoy watching them play just to see Brady and Billicek work their magic. Still, I'd rather see Peyton get his shot this year, too.

Anonymous said...

So glad I was wrong. I will be rooting for the Colts in two weeks.

Michael - Lover of Amy said...

The fun coincidence is like the Colts/Pats game, the Chick-fil-a Bowl was 21-3 at the half and the trailing team staged a fantastic comeback. Yeah for Peyton!

Does this give us an SEC vs. SEC Superbowl Quarterback challenge? I prefer hearing about that a LOT more than I care about hearing how it's the first ever Superbowl with two non-white coaches.

Also, congrats to Jim Mora who is one giant step closer to the dream job that got him fired from Atlanta as he is now Asst. Head Coach in Seattle.

Jeff said...

Does this give us an SEC vs. SEC Superbowl Quarterback challenge?

Yeah, but unlike usual, UT will beat Florida.