Saturday, January 20, 2007

Jeff's Top Five Anticipated Movies of 2007

Obviously, I was a tad distracted last year, which is why I went to so few movies in the theater, but I also think it's because there were so few films I actually had to see. Hopefully that will change now that I'm settling into happily ever after as a married man. Let's find out how the rest of the year looks.


1. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (July 13) - Every Harry Potter movie has gotten better, as the books have, so my expectations are sky high and hopefully not too high. One thing is sure, now that I'm married there won't be any more awkward comments about Hermione. Now Ron, that's another story ...

2. The Bourne Ultimatum (August 3) - With Identity and Supremacy, the Bourne franchise supplanted 007 with the action and intrigue. Can the third be just as good as the first two? It's difficult, but possible.

3. Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End (May 25) - Sure, Dead Man's Chest was more follow-up FUBAR than Matrix Reloaded, and Revolutions was a let-down as well, but that doesn't mean the third Pirates installment can't turn the series around, right? Right? Please?

4. Blades of Glory (March 30) - Will Ferrell in a comedy spoofing the world of figure skating. That's all I need to know.

5. Transformers (July 6) - I'm just so, so curious to see if this really is more than meets the eye. How to turn a childhood favorite into a live-action summer blockbuster? I have got to find out. Will it be Godzilla or Jurassic Park? Did I mention this is a Michael Bay film? Yeah. Not helpful.

Others: Live Free or Die Hard (June 29), Spider-Man 3 (May 4), Shrek the Third (May 18), Ocean's Thirteen (June 8), National Treasure 2 (December 21), Fanboys (August 17), Evan Almighty (June 22), 300 (March 9)

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

i really want to see shrek 3 and spiderman 3 and of course fanboys.:)

Reel Fanatic said...

Those should indeed all be great, but one more I'm definitely looking forward to is the next pixar flick, Ratatouille, because it is being directed by the great Brad Bird

Anonymous said...

While my personal list of anticipated films would include Spider-man 3 and Ocean's Thirteen, I'm sure there will be pleasant surprises that I could never have anticipated. Last night we finally watched Little Miss Sunshine for the first time, and it may be our favorite film of 2006. And this is a year in which we saw Mission:Impossible 3, Superman Returns, X-Men 3, Pirates: Dead Men's Chest. Those were movies I anticipated, and Sunshine was just far and away a better and even more enjoyable film.

Jeff said...

Reel Fanatic, I don't know why, but I haven't been watching the latest Pixar movies. I might see Cars someday, but probably only when I have kids.

I really have almost no anticipation for Spider-Man 3. It made the list only because it's the biggest blockbuster coming out. The first two haven't made me care a lick.

Semaj said...

I’ll do a “wait and see” with transformers, but I do like that slowly the designs of the robots has moved closer to the old TV show, except for Megatron.

I have very little trust in Bay after Pearl Harbor.