Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Home alone

Today's fortune cookie: "You are able to analyze objectively and express yourself clearly."

Cool. Me. Totally. Yes?

The first two days of Val going back to work went about as well as could be expected, I suppose. I've taken her both days to and fro, and back for lunch in order to spend as much time together as possible (yep, we're still in the honeymoon period) since five minutes after getting home about 5:20 I have to depart for work.

Okay, so I overslept my nap today and when Val called at 11:58 expecting me to be down in the parking lot I was putting on my shoes at home, but it's okay (Right, hon? Hello?), she doesn't have a set lunch hour.

Of course, we didn't talk much at lunch, but it's still quality listening time. And by that I mean listening to other people. Today we sat next to a pair of college girls who must have been on lunch break from the Clueless sequel. Lots of "like" and "oh my god," and my favorite part, when the one girl would get out a frantic sentence complaining about someone, and then two seconds later, as if she remembered she was supposed to punctuate her sentences with appropriate vexation, would mumble, "I mean, sh*t." Indeed. Personally, I like my punctuation better, "knowhatI'msayin'?"

I'm adjusting to life as a house husband, though I'm not getting tons done during the day. Still haven't cleaned the guest room or put together the entertainment center, which Dad bought us for Christmas, arrived Jan. 4 and still sits unassembled in four big parts that took two weeks to put together.

Thus far I've taken care of the groceries, enjoyed the requisite Target run, made the bed, started laundry or finished laundry (but never both, lest Val get used to it), and sat bored on the couch watching this weekend's "Battlestar Galactica." Next up, actual chores and cooking!

Now, fun with signs! The first is one I pass every day on the way to work, the latter we pass on the way to Val's work.


That is the worst personals ad ever.


The sign says "Fantasy Homes." It sits in front of a vacant, ugly, overgrown lot. Maybe it should say "Fantasize Homes." It's only "fantasy" if you're a frog or snake.

2 comments:

amy said...

Sounds like you are getting into a routine. In case Michael hasnt posted...Jobu won first place tonight! Woohoo!

Scott said...

I hear those same college girls every day...except I have been grading their papers. And what is more frustrating than hearing them talk? Reading their papers. They write exactly like they speak. I can't tell you how many times I see the words "so like basically" in the middle of a sentence.